Maybe it comes from growing up around my grandpa who we endearingly referred to as the garbage disposal. Growing up with 8 siblings in hard times had made him the ultimate enemy of food waste. If we didn't finish our plate - we passed it down to grandpa. If you didn't finish your can of root beer, grandpa would tell you to just leave it on the counter - and he would finish it.
Aside from finishing someone's soda (ok I confess I would finish someone's wine or martini to not let that go to waste) I have taken on this no waste mentality. But leftovers really do come in handy and I usually never leave a restaurant without a to-go container.
Back to what the heck I am going to do with all of this leftover pork tenderloin. I had already had it with rice and beans, all three times so that was definitely out. I figured my options were pretty slim, until I found Pork, Knife and Spoon. It's like the blogger, Susan, anticipated my (and probably plenty of other peoples) leftover pork recipe dilemma! Here are some of my favorites from her list:
- Thinly slice and heat it, and nestle inside of a crusty oblong roll with sautéed onions, mushrooms, peppers, and mozzarella cheese or barbecue sauce, cole slaw, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Thinly slice it and add to pasta. Try rigatoni with sauteed pork, white beans, spinach, olive oil, and lots of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Dice or slice it, and use in place of bacon for a breakfast scramble.
- Thinly slice it and add to quesadillas or tacos with shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, and guacamole.
- Thinly slice it and add to a hearty salad of romaine lettuce, sliced apples, almonds, and a mustard vinaigrette.
See all 11 Tasty Recipes for Leftover Pork Tenderloin over at Pork, Knife and Spoon!