Corn and Chicken Chowder Crockpot Recipe

I am in full fall swing thanks to the changing weather. Most of September here in Connecticut still felt like summer so we were happy to squeeze in some more beach days and summer recipes. But now I am ready to dive head first into autumn and all of the goodness that comes with it.

Including Especially this corn and chicken chowder soup crockpot recipe I have recently added to my menu! It's warm and delicious and one of the best food smells to come home to after a day of cooking itself in the crockpot. 



Don't get me wrong, this recipe definitely doesn't make itself. I spent an entire hour of baby's nap time dicing all of the ingredients into teeny tiny pieces not knowing how it was going to turn out...but it was time well spent I am happy to report... That's why I am sharing it here with you!

One thing to keep in mind going in is the teeny tiny part. I really tried to get all of the pieces, including the chicken, to the size of a corn kernel and I really like that aspect of this particular recipe. But you are free to slice and dice to the size you prefer of course.

Corn and Chicken Chowder Crockpot Recipe

What You'll Need:

1 pound boneless chicken breasts
12 ounces red potato, diced
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 cups corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
4 cups chicken broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup half and half
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper, to taste

Garnishes:
chopped fresh chives
Bacon


How You'll Do It:

1. Chop the potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and chicken (can be uncooked going into crockpot) into teeny tiny pieces and add to crockpot with the corn.


2. Add in chicken broth, garlic, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper and bay leaf, salt and pepper, to taste. Stir.


3. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.

4. In a small bowl, whisk together half and half and cornstarch. Stir in half and half mixture and butter during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.

5. You can fry up the bacon at any point, but I recommend doing it right at the end. The smell of bacon added to this already delicious smelling crockpot dinner will have everyone lined up and ready to eat!
 6. Enjoy a nice, warm cup/bowl garnished with bacon and chives! (This also stores well in the fridge for lunches or fast dinners throughout the week).

Now if only I could remember where I put all of my fall sweaters and boots....

Comments